What is 64 for Suu?
64 for Suu was a campaign to gather messages of support for Aung San Suu Kyi's 64th birthday. The campaign for her freedom continues. Click here to see organisations campaigning for her freedom.
Aung San Suu Kyi
The brutal dictatorship that rules Burma has sentenced Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma's democracy leader, to 18 months house arrest. She has now spent almost 14 years in detention for campaigning for human rights and democracy. She is the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize winner. More ...
Latest Photos & Videos
- Aung San Suu Kyi: Her Burma - Amnesty International (United Kingdom) uploaded a video
- Mary Robinson, member of The Elders and United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (1997-2002) (Ireland) uploaded a video
- Burma VJ - A film about the 2007 Uprising (United Kingdom) uploaded a video
- Ben Coulter (United Kingdom) uploaded a video
- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan wrote 64 words: Aung San Suu Kyi. Her small shoulders carry the weight of a restless nation who wait, with dignity, for her release. A woman whose vision and strength reach beyond her borders to embrace all those who believe in freedom and justice. You are not forgotten. We pray for your health and strength. We stand with you, Lady of the Lake. Rania Al Abdullah
- Romano Prodi wrote 64 words: E' il momento di fare di piu' per Aung San Suu Kyi. E' il momento che tutti, istituzioni e societa' civile, si mobilitino per la sua liberazione. E' tempo di rivendicare, ad ogni livello, i diritti umani, che non possono essere negati. Da nessun governo, da nessun potere. Aung non è solo un simbolo. E' una donna che ha bisogno di cure. Salviamola . Diamo un segno di speranza. Ne abbiamo bisogno
- Dora Bakoyannis, Foreign Minister of Greece wrote 64 words: On Aung San Suu Kyi’s 64th birthday, I reiterate my support to her fight for human rights and democracy,demanding her release. To the world, she symbolizes the struggle of Burma people to be free. To this end, in October 2007, all female Members of the Greek Parliament have signed up a petition in support of her commitment to freedom and democracy in Burma.
- Paul McCartney wrote 64 words: Aung San Suu Kyi is an inspiration to her country and the rest of the world. I truly admire her infallible resolve and her determination to stand up for what she believes in. It is vital that Aung San Suu Kyi is released so that she can govern the people who elected her and give Burma back the freedom we all take for granted
- Sec. Madeleine Albright, Drew Barrymore, David Beckham, Sandra Bullock, Daniel Craig wrote 64 words: Nineteen years ago, the Burmese people chose Aung San Suu Kyi as their next leader. For most of those 19 years she has been kept under house arrest by the military junta that runs the country. We must not stand by as she is silenced again. Now is the time for the international community to speak with one voice: Free Aung San Suu Kyi.
- Bono, U2 wrote 64 words: Packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been/A place that has to be believed to be seen/You could have flown away/A singing bird in an open cage/Who will only fly, fly for freedom/Walk on, walk on/What you've got they can't deny it/Can’t sell it, can’t buy it/Walk on, walk on/Stay safe tonight.
- Yoko Ono wrote 64 words: Your heart beats with my heart. My eyes see what you see. My belief is your belief. And my life is connected to thousands of universes, as is yours. Every twinkle of the star must travel billions of years to be seen by us. But our minds do not have to travel at all to be seen by each other. Because we are altogether.
- Anonymous wrote 64 words: The people of Burma chose Aung San Suu Kyi as there leader. I truelly admire her strength and and determination to stand up for what is right. She must be released, to govern the people that strongly believe in her.Give back the freedom.Speak up free Aung San Suu Kyi.